India Startup Funding Update, Aug 29
Aug 29, 2018
1. Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced its plans to launch incubators across India to groom space startups that build newer solutions in rocketry, communication satellites, and applications based on remote sensing data.
2. One97 Communications, the parent of digital payments company Paytm, has invested $16M in Gamepind Entertainment Pvt Ltd, a mobile gaming offering, in a joint venture (JV) with AGTech, a Hong Kong-based mobile games development company.
3. PolicyBazaar plans to work with China’s Ping An Insurance Group, which owns and operates Ping An Good Doctor — the world’s largest healthcare portal — to strengthen its new healthcare business DocPrime.
4. OYO has acquired Mumbai-based Weddingz.in, an online marketplace for wedding venues and vendors, for an undisclosed sum.
5. Ola has appointed Ben Legg as managing director of its recently announced UK operations.
6. Hotstar's parent Novi Digital media has received an investment of Rs 516 crore from Star US, as per financial documents sourced from business intelligence platform paper.vc.
7. Bengaluru and Delaware-based biopharma startup, Bugworks Research, has raised a Series A round of $9 million (about Rs 62.2 crore) led by the University of Tokyo Edge Capital (UTEC).
8. Online mattress company Wakefit is in advanced talks with three venture capital funds including Sequoia Capital to raise about Rs 40 crore ($6 million), reported ET.
9. Saama Capital and Blume Ventures-backed queue management startup Sminq is in talks with private equity firms to raise $8-10 million, reported ET.
10. Amazon India on Friday has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Uttar Pradesh government to support MSME entrepreneurs across nine districts as a part of the state’s One District One Product (ODOP) scheme, reported PTI.
11. Ultraviolette Automotive Pvt Ltd (UAPL), which is developing electric two-wheelers, has raised Rs 6 Cr in a Series A funding round from TVS Motor Company.
12. Zomato on Friday announced that it has extended its food delivery services to Dehradun, Agra, Patna, Mysore, Ranchi, Raipur, and Aurangabad.
13. 3 startups won cash prize at Samsung Global Startup Acceleration Program in Bangalore
Keyphrases: Investing in India, Entrepreneruship in India, india startup