Connecting Businesses with Opportunities in India

US Citizen's Passport lost or stolen in India

Submitted by Navin Pathak on Sat, 09/12/2015 - 11:29pm.

U.S. citizens whose passports have either been stolen or lost while in India should:

  1. File a police report with the Indian authorities as soon as possible. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, railway station, etc.) you should report the loss to the authorities at that location.
  2. Make an appointment online. Note: If you are traveling in the next week, no appointment is necessary. Please bring the required documents and fees to the Embassy on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and friday. The Embassy is closed on U.S. and Indian holidays.
  3. Complete passport application online and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport.
  4. Print application and prepare required documents before the interview (whether you have an appointment or not)

Make an appointment here and print appointment letter.

Complete and print your online application here. 

Complete Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport

Required Documents for Passport Replacement:

  • Police report
  • Proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship, if available.
  • One recent 2"x2" (5 cm x 5 cm) color photograph taken against a white background. No other format will be accepted. More information
  • Completed passport application form. Please do not use two-sided printing.
  • Do not sign the forms; you will do so in the presence of a consular officer.
  • Completed Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport


Complete fee information is available down below. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or by credit card. Personal checks are not accepted. ACS fees are nonrefundable.

  • Adult U.S. Passport Replacement (Lost, Stolen, Damaged): $135
  • Minor U.S. Passport (under age 16): $105

Questions?  Email:


Get in Touch with US Authorities

Dear Rebecca,

The best way is to get in touch with US authorities in US or US Consulate in Bengaluru.

Also Ministry of External Affairs' PIO division can also be of assistance to you.

Best Regards

seeking suggestion with regards to the lost passports of my kids

Dear Sir/Madam,

my husband Reuben David who lives in the US Minneapolis address not known to me has abandoned me and my kids 3 years ago. They are American citizens aged 11 Aaron Immanuel David (male) and Jason samuel David age 7 (male). He brought us to India 7 years ago and was visiting us for 5 years twice a year and then that led to a strained relationship which  gradually got us seperated without divorce and now he has totally abandoned us.I was told that all my certificates and documents ,passports of my kids along with my Indian passports are kept at his Dad's house in Bengaluru (INDIA). But now they told me that he had recently visited them and had taken all the documents and passports along with him. Kindly suggest me what I have to do. Your help will be greatly appreciated.


Thank you.



Post new comment