Connecting Businesses with Opportunities in India

Exchange Rate and Travel Tips

How do I keep my important documents safe when traveling to India?

Consider this…you are traveling to India and you lose or ruin your passport, credit cards or other travel essentials like medical prescription, emergency contact numbers, travel tickets, etc.  Trust me my traveler friends that if you are not prepared for this scenario then it can be your nightmare.

Sure you must be vigilant in protecting your documents in the first place but a simple step of making photocopies of the documents ahead of time and having accesss to them if needed will be of immense help to you.

For this, you can either carry these copies with you or place the copies with your trusted people or keep an online-backup of them.

Security is cetainly an issue with the option of backing-up these documents online like emailing the images of these documents to yourself and, so, do some research to find out who offers a more secured solution.

One thing you can do about online backup of these documents is to make a password protect zip file of the images and then email them to your account.

India Travel Advisory

Before finalizing your plan for traveling to India, it is advisable to check any travel alerts or warnings that either the Government of India or your country of origin has issued.

  • US Department of State, Choose the country India under International travel. The site provides travel warning, alerts, travel insurance, medical facilities, etc.
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,, 1-877-FYI-TRIP (1-877-394-8747) The site provides information on vaccinations and other health precautions.
  • World Health Organization’s (WHO), The site provides information on disease outbreaks in India and lists reports & guides on health risks and safe food for international
  • Many places in India require Govt. of India’s permission to visit. For details, visit Foreigners’ Division, Ministry of Home Affairs website or call, +91-11-2309-2011.
Exchanging currency at Delhi Airport

Updated on Aug 14, 2017

Having access to local currency (Indian Rupee) is the first and foremost important item a foreign traveler would need starting from the airport.

In the arrival section (Terminal 3) of the Delhi airport, there are currency exchange counters between immigration and customs area.

The 3 currency exchange counters are by:

  1. Punjab National Bank
  2. Central Bank of India
  3. Thomas Cook.

All the 3 counters are open 24 hours.

Difference: Though the exchange rates offered by all the three exchangers may be the same but Thomas Cook will charge fees.

Make sure that you ask for Central Bank of India’s counter since they are not as strategically located as Thomas Cook and Punjab National Bank.

You can use the Airport’s interactive map to see where the currency exchange counters are located.

Entry India's Recommendation: Currency exchange rate at the airport is always lower than what you can get in the city.  So, get your foreign currency exchanged to little over what you require at the airport and when you are in the city visit branch of any bank or authorized non-banking exchangers to get the rest of foreign currency converted to India Rupees.

I lost my Indian Visa, what should I do?

People who lose their passport with their valid Indian visa must contact their respective country's Embassy for their new replacement passport and apply for an exit visa with the Foreigner's Regional Registration Office (FRRO), Government of India. This process takes up to 2-3 business days. You cannot leave India without this visa. More information on obtaining an exit visa will be provided when you come to apply for a replacement passport. Exit visas are not issued on weekends or Indian holidays.

Foreigner's Regional Registration Office (FRRO)

Level 2, East Block 8
Sector 1, R.K. Puram 
(Behind Hyatt Regency)
New Delhi

Phone:  +91-11-2671-1348 / 1443

Hours: 9:30 am to 3:00 pm
Lunch:  1:30 pm - 2:00 pm


You must report the loss of your passport and visa to the local Indian Police and obtain a police report.  Please report the loss of the visa to the Fraud Prevention Unit at:

  1. Your name, date and place of birth, and nationality.
  2. Your address and phone number.
  3. A photocopy of the lost visa, if available, or the date and place of issuance, if known.
  4. A photocopy of the bio-data page of your lost passport, if available.  If not, the nationality and number of your lost passport as well as the issuance and expiration dates, if available.
  5. Circumstances of the loss: When and how your passport was lost or stolen.
US Citizen's Passport lost or stolen in India

U.S. citizens whose passports have either been stolen or lost while in India should:

  1. File a police report with the Indian authorities as soon as possible. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, railway station, etc.) you should report the loss to the authorities at that location.
  2. Make an appointment online. Note: If you are traveling in the next week, no appointment is necessary. Please bring the required documents and fees to the Embassy on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and friday. The Embassy is closed on U.S. and Indian holidays.
  3. Complete passport application online and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport.
  4. Print application and prepare required documents before the interview (whether you have an appointment or not)

Make an appointment here and print appointment letter.

Complete and print your online application here. 

Complete Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport

Required Documents for Passport Replacement:

  • Police report
  • Proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship, if available.
  • One recent 2"x2" (5 cm x 5 cm) color photograph taken against a white background. No other format will be accepted. More information
  • Completed passport application form. Please do not use two-sided printing.
  • Do not sign the forms; you will do so in the presence of a consular officer.
  • Completed Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport


Complete fee information is available down below. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or by credit card. Personal checks are not accepted. ACS fees are nonrefundable.

  • Adult U.S. Passport Replacement (Lost, Stolen, Damaged): $135
  • Minor U.S. Passport (under age 16): $105

Questions?  Email:

List of Doctors and Hospitals in the New Delhi Consular District

American Citizen Services has compiled a list of medical facilities, most with English-speaking staff.

This list includes providers only in the New Delhi Consular District.  The New Delhi Consular District includes Delhi, Chandigarh and the states of Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.

Doctor and Hospital List, New Delhi Consular District

The names listed in this list are not endorsed by U.S. Embassy.

Electric voltage and plugs in India

Electricity Voltage in India is 220 volts AC, 50 cycles. Some upscale hotels in India do have provisions for 110 volt shavers, electric tooth brushes etc.

However, it is still a good idea to take along a voltage converter if you have small electrical gadgets that you intend to use during your trip to India.

If possible buy an electric plug adapter as the electric plugs in India are rounded.

Assistance for US Citizens in India
In case of emergency involving an American citizen, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-11) 2419-8000 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Delhi, first dial 011-. If you are calling from the United States, first dial 011-91-11-.

The American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi can assist when a U.S. citizen in India is arrested, missing, is a victim of violent crime, becomes ill or dies, or when there is otherwise a need for immediate help. ACS can assist with information on local resources and by contacting family members in the United States apprised of the circumstances, so that they can make necessary decisions and provide financial and logistical support.

A Few Useful Words and Phrases in Hindi
Morning - SubhaNight - RaatYes - Haan
Today - AajTomorrow - KulNo - Nahin
Vegetable - SabziSalt - NamakRice - Chawal
Milk - DoodhBoil - UbaalnaWater - Paani


How are you?
Aap kaisay hain?
Theek hai!
Glad to meet you
Mil kay acha laga
What is your name?
Aapka naam kya hai?
My name is Raju
Mera naam Raju hai
Come in
Under aao
Sit down
Neechay baitho
Go forward
Aagay jaao
Go back
Wapas jao
Go straight
Seeda jao
I want to get down here
Mujhay yahan utarna hai
Next stop
agla stop
Thank You
I want...
Main chahta hon
Please help me
Kripya meri madad karo
I agree!
Main manta hoon!
It's good!
Ucha hai!
This is very good
Yeh bahut ucha hai
I am sorry
Mujhay maaf kar do!
Lets go!
What does this cost?
Yeh kitnay ka hai?
Is this water good for drinking?
Kya yeh paani theek hai peenay ke liyay?
Can I make a phone call from here?
Main yahan se phone kar sakta hoon?
Where can I hire a taxi?
Taxi kahan se hire karoon?
Where does this road lead?
Yeh sadak kahan jaati hai?
What is the time?
Kitna baja hai?
Have you eaten?
Aapnay khana khaya?
Please would you tell me where I can find this address?
Kya aap bata saktay hain kee yeh pata (address) kahan par hai?
Satellite phone in India

Carrying a satellite phone without permission is strictly prohibited in India.

There is a clear rule in India which bans the use of satellite phones and even if foreigners coming in with valid documents permitting them to carry such phones, the Indian authorities reserve the right to deny them such permissions. When persons with satellite phones land in India, the mandate is that the phone is first seized by the customs. Only after they obtain a licence from the department of telecommunications, can they clan claim their phones back. (source: Rediff)

For permission, contact Department of Telecommunication at Room No. 1204, Sanchar Bhavan, 20, Ashoka Road, New Delhi - 110 001.

Road-side bargaining in India

One of the best part to enjoy in India is to buy stuff from road-side vendors. You can buy a wide range of traditional stuff, handicraft from these street vendors. But buying without bargaining in India is like throwing money away. Since vendors in India know that their clients will haggle, the prices are already inflated.

Following are the tips you can follow to save some money:

  • Do not show the urgency to buy
  • Don't take your wallet out before the final price is agreed
  • Expect to pay as much as 50% of the first asked price
Restrictions on Photography in India

Government permission is required before clicking photographs of any of the following:

  • Places of military establishments
  • Metro trains
  • Bridges
  • Airports
  • Railway stations
  • Tribal areas
  • Sensitive border regions
  • Some of the temples, fmonuments of historical value, forts, palaces, tombs and monasteries.

For details, visit the site